A Morning Melody with Sarang Kulkarni’s Sarod: A Musical Journey Through Raagas
In a morning filled with musical splendour, young and talented Sarang Kulkarni graced the stage with his Sarod, accompanied by Ojas Adhiya on Tabla, leaving the audience spellbound. The occasion was ‘Pratahswar,’ an event organized by Pancham Nishad in collaboration with the Rithwik Foundation for Performing Arts. This remarkable program, has been made accessible to the masses through RFPA’s digital platforms, as ‘Yuva Swaranubhuti,’ allowing music enthusiasts to relish this delightful performance.
Sarang Kulkarni, the maestro of the Sarod, graced the morning with a mesmerizing performance, taking his audience on a musical journey through the enchanting realms of Indian classical music. On this delightful morning, Kulkarni’s intricate and soulful renditions transported the listeners to a world of melody, showcasing his mastery over Raag Basant Mukhari, Raag Nat Bhairav, and Raag Manjh Khamaj.
Raag Basant Mukhari
Kulkarni commenced his morning performance with Raag Basant Mukhari, a raag that exudes a sense of serenity and joy. His skilful fingers coaxed out ethereal notes through a series of traditional elements, including:
– Alaap: A slow and meditative introduction that allowed Kulkarni to explore the raag’s nuances and establish its mood.
– Jod Jhala: A dynamic section that showcased Kulkarni’s virtuosity with fast-paced rhythmic patterns and intricate melodic phrases.
– Gat in vilambit Roopak taal: Kulkarni delved deeper into the raag’s beauty with a composition in the slow Roopak taal, captivating the audience with his melodic and rhythmic finesse.
– Drut bandish in drut Teentaal: The performance reached its zenith as Kulkarni introduced the lively Teentaal, featuring a faster composition that left the audience spellbound.
Raag Nat Bhairav
Transitioning to Raag Nat Bhairav, Kulkarni continued to enchant the morning audience. Raag Nat Bhairav is known for its serene and devotional character, and Kulkarni paid homage to its essence with:
– Alaap: Once again, Kulkarni began with an alaap, allowing the audience to immerse themselves in the soulful rendition of this beautiful raag.
Gat in Madhya laya Teentaal: The middle-paced Teentaal composition showcased his versatility as he explored the raag’s emotional depth, combining rhythm and melody in perfect harmony.
Raag Manjh Khamaj
Concluding his morning performance, Sarang Kulkarni presented Raag Manjh Khamaj, a raag known for its playful and cheerful character. In a short but delightful exploration, Kulkarni displayed his command over this raag, leaving the audience with a sense of joy and contentment.
Sarang Kulkarni’s performance was a testament to his dedication, talent, and promising future as a Sarod artist. His ability to evoke a myriad of emotions through his music left an indelible mark on the audience, reaffirming his place among the emerging talents in the world of classical music.
This program by Rithwik Foundation for Performing Arts, in collaboration with Pancham Nishad, has provided a platform for young artists like Sarang Kulkarni to showcase their prowess and artistic finesse. It is a commendable initiative that not only preserves the rich heritage of Indian classical music but also nurtures and showcases the rising stars of the musical horizon.
Sarang Kulkarni’s Sarod performance in the morning was a harmonious start to the day, a musical treat that will be cherished by all who had the privilege of witnessing his artistry. It is a testament to the bright future that awaits this young and talented artist as he continues to enchant audiences with his soul-stirring melodies.